The following states and cities have enacted laws stating that employers may not ask their job candidates about pay history:
- California (effective January 2018)
- Delaware (currently in effect)
- Massachusetts (effective July 2018)
- New York, NY (currently in effect)
- Oregon (effective January 2019)
- Philadelphia, PA (currently not in effect due to pending litigation)
If you employ people in any of the affected areas, we strongly recommend seeking the advice of legal counsel to best determine your obligations under the law.